Manukau Courier : March 20th 2014
Auckland’s most powerful media NETWORK Unbeatable coverage of Thursday, March 20, 2014 808,000 readers 15+ Ph 09 525 0666 Source: Nielsen CMI Q3 2011–Q2 2012 Family loses all in fire By SARAH ROBERTS HOUSE FIRE victim Nella Sefilino is grateful for every moment she has with her children. It’s not so long ago that she could have lost all four. ‘‘Every night before they go to sleep I tell them I love them,’’ she says. Nella and her partner Nicco Niko know just how lucky the kids are to be alive. Their state home burnt down at about 11.30am on March 2. The Manurewa residents lost everything and had no insurance. Now St Mary’s Catholic School in Papakura, where their eldest daughter Kiendra-Lee, 6, is a pupil, is rallying around to help. Nella says the family was just starting life in her childhood home when disaster struck. ‘‘It was first under my mother’s name. We have lost a lot of sentimental things. ‘‘Now we own nothing but the clothes on our back,’’ she says. The fire started when their fouryear-old son Kiendrix was playing with a lighter in a wardrobe. His two-year-old brother Karson yelled ‘‘Mummy! Mummy, fire!’’ Nella, whose youngest child is 7 months old, tried to put out the blaze but within minutes the room was engulfed in flames. The desperate parents scrambled to get the children out but Kiendrix was hiding somewhere in the house. ‘‘I was yelling so loudly and eventually he ran out by himself. I could have lost my son that day,’’ Nella says. The family moved into emerg- ency Housing New Zealand accommodation last week. ‘‘Every day was already a struggle. Now we are just taking each day as it comes,’’ Nicco says. Nella is a stay-at-home mum and Nicco is a caregiver for his father. St Mary’s school has been busy collecting donations for the family and is waiving Kiendra-Lee’s fees and supplying replacement uniforms and stationery. Family moment: Parents Nicco Niko and Nella Sefilino are grateful they still have each other and their children Kiendra-Lee, 6, Kiendrix, 4, Karson, 2, and Karleigh, 7 months. Photo: SARAH ROBERTS Gutted: The burnt-out house, right, on Poutini Place in Manurewa. Manurewa Community Kinder- garten is also collecting donations. The family say all the gifts are truly appreciated. ❚ Any donations of bedding and household goods would be of great assistance. A money tree has also been set up for the family. Please make any donations to N Niko bank account 12-3010-0151375-00. Team Bogan’s long hair fundraiser By ANNA LOREN Headbanging without hair might be a strange experience but Shaun Abbott and Cameron Wetzel are ready to give it a go. The two self-professed bogans Bogan buzzcut: Cameron Wetzel, left, and Shaun Abbott are shaving their heads to raise money for cancer research. Photo:ANNALOREN are shaving their heads to raise funds for Leukaemia & Blood Cancer New Zealand. All the money will go to cancer research and they’ll also be donating their hair to be made into wigs for cancer patients. Both members of Team Bogan have had long hair since their first year at James Cook High School. The Weymouth 19-year-olds say they’re not sure what life – or heavy metal concerts – will be like without their manes. But it’s a cause that’s worth the sacrifice. Cameron’s cousin has been diagnosed with breast cancer and Shaun’s nana died of the disease six years ago. She went through radiation and chemotherapy and ended up shaving her head. ‘‘It was one of the toughest things to have to go through with her,’’ Shaun says. ‘‘She was grateful for the wig as it made her feel a bit more comfortable when out in public. Donating my hair means that one day someone who is going through something similar to what my Nana went through will have the same opportunity to receive a wig and may feel the same as she did.’’ Shaun and Cameron have organised an event at Weymouth Primary School on Sunday. It will run from noon to 3pm on the school field. Go to facebook.com and search ‘‘Shaun and Cameron’s Shave For a Cure’’ or go to shavefora cure.co.nz and search ‘‘Team Bogan’’. FIRE SAFETY TIPS ❚ Never leave lit cigarettes unattended ❚ Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children ❚ Children should never use candles – especially in bedrooms ❚ Have an escape plan and make sure everyone in the family knows the drill ❚ Identify primary escape routes out of every room; select a meeting place outside and make sure doorways are not obstructed ❚ Make sure children know the sound of the smoke alarm and what to do if there is a fire.
March 18th 2014
March 21st 2014