Manukau Courier : January 18th 2011
3 MANUKAU COURIER, JANUARY 18, 2011 NEWS PHONEUSON0800889888/2638518 VISIT US AT 22 Cavendish Drive, Manukau City OR ONLINE AT www.SPLNZ.co.nz Normal Lending Criteria Apply To nd out the options available to you call South Paci c Loans today. Overcome the post-Christmas blues by consolidating your debts with South Paci c Loans. Contact our experienced and friendly team for fast service and competitive rates! HAVE A FRESH START TO 2011 CONSOLIDATE YOUR DEBTS AND SAVE MONEY! 3387022AD We are a Full Day Licensed Centre and are taking Enrolments Now Children from 3 months to 5 Years old 20 Hours FREE for 3 to 5 year old children Child Care Centre Enroll Now for 2011 New Centre Phone 277 4222 Or visit us at 30 Kenderdine Road, Papatoetoe PAPATOETOE 65 RAGLAN ST. MANGERE EAST OPEN 7 DAYS Mon-Fri 6am - 8.30pm Sat-Sun 7am - 8.30pm Specials End This Sunday We reserve the right to correct any errors or misprints Cassava 2kg Cabbage Chicken Nibbles 5kg Tele Cucumbers large IndoMi Mi Gorang Noodles (40 in Box) Sudso Washing Powder 5kg Chicken Thighs 4kg $22.99 bag 69c ea $17.99 box $11.99 bag $17.99 bag $4.99 tray Size 7 eggs 30s $2.99 bag 79c ea $5.99 bag Potato 10kg 2882257AY Preschooler with lighter might have sparked house blaze By DAVID TAURANGA The Fire Service is investigating if a four-year-old boy playing with a cigarette lighter started a house fire in Wiri at the weekend. If that was the cause it will add to the service's concerns that five fires have been started by preschool chil- dren misuing matches or lighters in the past month. Firefighters were called to the blaze at a Housing NZ property on Druces Rd at 3.45pm on Saturday. A mother and her three children -- two-year-old twins and a four-year- old -- were home, fire risk manage- ment officer Phil Faidley says. The woman was woken by a smoke alarm and while getting her children out to safety she suffered mild smoke inhalation,'' he says. Once outside she told firefighters she couldn't find her four-year-old son inside but he later emerged from a hiding spot in the garage.'' Firefighters extinguished the fire without too much structural dam- age and the property is repairable. The blaze appears to have started in upholstery or soft furnishings in the lounge, Mr Faidley says. It's possible it was started by the child but the service has not ruled out other causes, he says. The recent spate of fires started by preschoolers could be a statisti- cal blip. The service will analyse the issue to come up with realistic solutions, he says. Bus station gets a new look Welcome sight: Mangere-Otahuhu Local Board chairman Peter Skelton in front of one of the newly-cleaned Otahuhu bus station murals. THE neglected Otahuhu bus station is getting a new look for the new year. Auckland Transport, NZ Bus, Auckland Council and the local business association have been working together on a programme to keep the station clear of graffiti and other vandalism and rubbish. Graffiti has been removed from the station murals which have now been graffiti-guarded and there is night-time security. The clean-up also includes: Removing vandalised bus shelters on the centre aisle Reopening toilets during the day and early evening with improved regular cleaning and surveillance Basing Maori wardens at the unused ticket kiosk to add another level of informal security Regular visits from the Otahuhu neighbourhood policing team to deal with illegal behaviour. Auckland Transport public trans- port operations manager Mark Lambert says the station has been a source of concern for Otahuhu people. We have a strong focus on encouraging people to use public transport so tidy and clean facilities are a key part of that.'' Mangere-Otahuhu Local Board chairman Peter Skelton has welcomed the improvements. Cleaner facilities and improved security will hopefully lead to people making better transport decisions,'' he says.
January 14th 2011
January 20th 2011